Sunday 30 September 2018

When Jesus Repented (Matthew 15:21-28)


(Homily for Gayton Road Christian Church's Worship on September 30, 2018, Proper 21)



Walking Past the Parish Drunk

One night several years ago, back in England, I was walking home from church when I encountered a familiar face.  Gary, the parish drunk, disheveled as ever.  Sitting on the curbside by a convenience shop, Gary called out to me with slurred speech.  I ignored him.  I knew what this would be about.  He persisted, though, and shared with me his latest pity story.  Tomorrow was his sister’s birthday and he had nothing to give her.  Could I spot him a few quid so that he could run in the convenience shop and grab her a pint of her favorite drink?  At this point Gary was nearly in my face, and I could no longer ignore him or his heavy, alcohol-laced breathing.  So I looked him in the eyes and shook my head.  “I’m sorry, Gary, I can’t help you.”

Suddenly his jaw clenched and his lip pursed into a thin, angry line.  He raised his two hands karate style.  “You think you can just walk by me?  I know karate!”  For a brief moment, I felt fear.  Was Gary really going to attack me?  I sized up my chances of running away.  Gary was twice my age and drunk.  I shouldn’t have much trouble leaving him in the dust.  All of this speculation, however, was needless.  As I was weighing up my options, Gary was precariously trying to lift one of his legs to complete the karate pose.  It was a regrettable move.  Tipsy as he was, he lacked balanced and stumbled backward into the shadows.  I laughed and walked by him.  I wonder now if he heard my laughter.  If he did, I imagine it was salt in a deep, deep wound.

Jesus and I: Ignoring, Refusing, Insulting

First I ignored him.
Then I refused him.
Then I insulted him.

As astonishing as this may sound, I was following in the footsteps of my Lord Jesus Christ.

For in today’s scripture, Jesus first ignores the Canaanite woman.  He does not answer her.
Then he refuses her, saying, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.”
Then he insults her, calling her a dog.

As one of my favorite theologians puts it, Jesus had to learn to be human just as you and I did.  His family and his culture had to teach him how to walk, how to talk, how to use the potty.  They also happened to teach him about the inferiority of the Canaanites, how they were unclean, how they had historically persecuted the Jewish people, how they were enemies of God.

So when Jesus ignores and then refuses and then insults the Canaanite woman, it’s not pretty but it’s also not much of a surprise.  It’s a lifetime of learning now lived out in the flesh.

Perhaps in a similar way, my response to Gary was no surprise either.  After all, growing up in a culture deeply steeped in a Protestant work-ethic, I have “learned” that persons like Gary are a lost cause.  There’s no reasoning with a person who sits around all day and routinely throws what little they have at the drink.  Why give them the time of day?

Jesus Repents

Earlier in the gospel story of Matthew, Jesus sends his disciples out on mission to proclaim the good news of the kingdom of God and to heal.  He gives them explicit instructions: “Go nowhere among the gentiles, and enter no town of the Samaritans, but rather go to the lost sheep…of Israel” (10:5-6).

At the very end of the gospel story of Matthew, however, when Jesus again sends the disciples out on mission, his instructions have changed: “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations” (28:19).

His instructions change, I believe, because he himself changed.  Somewhere between the first mission and the last, Jesus sheds the tribal thinking of his culture and begins to understand that all people belong to God, are beloved by God, are worthy of relationship with God.  I think today’s scripture is a glimpse into this change of thinking.  I would even go so far as to say that in today’s scripture we see Jesus himself repenting. 

The word “repent” means literally to change your mind, to turn around about something.  If you’re like me, you’ve probably thought about repentance as having to do with private morality.  Perhaps you’ve repented before from snapping at people in anger, or from greed, or from lying or spreading rumors.  But in today’s scripture, repentance is about something much bigger than a personal habit.  Repentance in today’s scripture is about unlearning the lopsided values of your culture.  When Jesus exclaims to the Canaanite woman in today’s scripture, “Woman, great is your faith!” he repents.  This repentance might even be said to make Jesus an “outlaw” inasmuch as it draws Jesus outside the law and custom of his day.  For in today’s episode, he steps outside the law of his people, which had memorialized the Canaanites as the enemy.  He turns around from the idea that God’s good news is the exclusive property of one people group, and as we see at the end of the gospel, he comes to believe that the good news is for all nations, that all people deserve the time of day and so much more.  (If you’ll allow me this moment of mischief, I’d just like to wonder aloud if we have any laws and customs today we might repent about.  Are there people we turn our backs on, whom God does not?  Laws that we follow, that God does not?  Having heard stories from the communities of the disabled and the sick and immigrants, where folks face inordinate challenges to enjoy the life that I take for granted, I do wonder.  Are there people about whom we might change our minds and join Jesus in saying, “Great is your faith!”)

Where I Stopped Following Jesus; Or, the Next Step

You may remember that a couple of weeks ago, I began with the observation that God’s good news in the Bible is for the poor, and I’m not (poor).  This left me asking, where am I in the good news?  Last week, as I read Jesus’ story about Lazarus and the rich man, I found myself standing with the rich man in front of a chasm, a chasm fixed by security and self-sufficiency, a chasm made by money and mastery and the lure of more.  I found myself feeling the rich man’s loneliness and wondering how I might receive the embrace of poor man Lazarus, which is the communion of God.  I wondered how I might begin to see him as my brother.

That brings me to today.  The good news that I find in today’s scripture is that even Jesus faced the problem that I face.  Like me, Jesus learned from his culture that certain people don’t deserve the time of day. I know that Jesus learned this because I see it in his actions. 

First he ignores the Canaanite woman.
Then he refuses her.
Then he insults her.

But the story doesn’t end there.  Next Jesus listens to her.  And when he hears the depths of her cry, somehow that changes his mind.  He repents.  He unlearns what his culture taught him.  And he recognizes the Canaanite woman’s faith as part of his own faith.  He recognizes her as a child of God.

The good news, then, is that Jesus changed and so can I.

Years ago on that night in Sheffield, I followed in Jesus’ footsteps.

I ignored Gary in his drunken poverty.
I refused him.
I insulted him, my laughter salt in a deep, deep wound.

But that’s where I stopped following Jesus.  If I were to continue, then I would do what Jesus did next.  I would listen to Gary.  I would see his deep, deep wound, and I would recognize it as my own.  I would recognize his hope as my hope, his faith as my faith, him as my brother, despite all that my culture has taught me.  It’s difficult not to race ahead to questions like, Can you really help a person like Gary?  How can situations like this be fixed?  But perhaps those questions are short-circuiting the first and most important step.  Which is the step that Jesus takes, and which is precisely where I find myself today in God’s good news to the poor.  I am at the step of listening to the Canaanite woman.  I am at the step of being touched.  I am at the step of repentance, of my mind being changed.  I am on the threshold of communion with Gary—and with Christ.

Prayer

Companion Christ,
Who grapples with culture now
As with culture long ago:
You know how deep our learning is
And how deep the wounds it inflicts.
Grant us grace to follow you,
To unlearn as you did,
To be changed
By the faith of others,
And to enter into their communion,
Which is yours also.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment