Sunday 5 May 2019

A Paddle for Everyone (Acts 2:42-47)

(Homily for Gayton Road Christian Church's Worship on May 5, 2019, Easter III)



Of Canoes and Paddles

My initiation into the youth group at Second Baptist Church was a trip to “the Rivah.”  It was the summer before I entered sixth grade.  The day is memorable for many reasons.  For one, I was not under the supervision of my parents, and so when offered sunscreen by one of the chaperones, I nonchalantly declined.  And paid a horrible price.  I also remember the little canoes that we could paddle in the cove.  A few of my friends and I jumped into one.  At first I paddled it by myself, and it was rather slow going.  But when my friends joined me, the canoe practically took off.  It was a big difference.

Everyone Had a Paddle

When the earliest followers of Christ gathered together in community, they did not have a church building.  They did not have paid staff or professional pastors.  They did not have programs purposefully designed to raise their profile in the public eye.

What they had was much simpler: each other.  In our passage today, which paints the first portrait of the early church, we see a community who gather regularly around tables to break bread and to pray; who come together in small groups to share and to study; and who distribute all that they have among the needful.  Perhaps it’s no wonder that these are the three things they do, for these are the three places where Jesus promises we will always find him: around tables where bread is broken in remembrance of him; in groups as small as two or three who gather in his name; and among the least of these.

There’s one word that’s repeated more than any other in this portrait of the early church.  It’s a word that captures quite well the Spirit of that community.  It’s the word “all.” [1] 

In other words, there were no passengers in the early church.  Everyone had a paddle.

I’m Not Thinking of Sunday

I confess that I regularly confuse the church for a building or a Sunday worship service.  When I hear about a new church, I ask, “Where is it located?  What’s its Sunday worship like?”

Today’s scripture sets me straight.  There’s no mention of a building or a service.  There’s only people—breaking bread, sharing and studying together, and touching the need of the world.

This confusion about church—is it a building and a Sunday service, or is it something else?—helps to explain the two different answers I give when people ask me how Gayton Road Christian Church is doing.  There’s the easy response and then there’s the honest response.  The easy response is that Gayton Road is like many other churches in the western world.  It’s growing smaller, some would say “dying.”

But the honest response is that the church that calls itself Gayton Road Christian Church has nothing to do with this building or the membership roll or the words recited and rituals rehearsed on Sunday morning. 

The church has to do with broken bread that makes us whole.  And as much as I find that here in this building, I also find it across the street with our memory care friends, where the brokenness is very real and the wholeness that much more precious.  The church has to do with two or three or more hearts who have caught a glimpse of God and together seek more.  And as much as I find that here on a Sunday morning, I also find it in hole-in-the-wall diners where God haunts conversations fueled by scripture and coffee.  The church has to do with befriending the needful.  And as much as these offerings plates might promise to do that, I find that flesh-and-blood encounters with the sick or the hurting bring me even closer to the wounded Christ.

So when people ask me how Gayton Road Christian Church is doing, and I give the honest response, I say, “We’re doing great.”  But when I say that, I’m not thinking of Sunday.  I’m thinking of Lu conspiring with Rhonda Sneed and seeking help for the homeless.  I’m thinking of Carl and Marion and Jeff and others whose hunger is for more than tacos.  I’m thinking of Ivan sharing his careful scrapbooking of transgender concerns, and Dolores sharing her ceramic painting of the three wise men at Christmas, and Carol tirelessly changing our worship décor, and Amanda and Anna crafting a summer’s week of love and learning for our children, and Cinda and Teresa tending to our kitchen and our tables, making sure they’re covered with food and alive with fellowship.  I could go on and on and talk about every single one of you.  Because everyone here carries a paddle—and that is the church.

Wonders and Signs

Our scripture tells us that in that earliest community of Christ-followers, “awe came upon everyone, because many wonders and signs were being done by the apostles” (2:43).  “Wonders and signs”—what a great way to talk about what church really is.  Not a building, not a service, but the wonderful and significant ways that we encounter Christ at tables, in small groups, and among the needful.

At Gayton Road, our ministry is organized according to these three sites of encounter with the risen Christ.  And like the early church, we are a community where all are a part of the body.  Everyone has a paddle.  Today an elder from each team will share with you one of the “wonders and signs” that is transpiring in their team.  Perhaps in the months to come you’ll be inspired to pick up a different paddle, or to paddle in a new way.  If you have any interest in the activities of any of the teams, the elders will be in the narthex after church and would be happy to share more with you.

Prayer

Spirit of God,
Who dwells not only in this building,
Who reigns not only in this hour of the week:
Inspire us
Each according to our gifts,
Each according to the needs around us.
Equip us with the paddle you would choose
And empower us together to be the body of Christ
In our communities.
Amen.



[1] This statistic excludes the definite article, pronouns, prepositions, and the conjunction “and.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment