Sunday 29 July 2018

Is It Enough? (2 Samuel 11:1-15)


(Homily for Gayton Road Christian Church's Worship on July 29, 2018, Proper 12)



Wild Flowers

I was five or six.  My friend Christopher and I ran to the edge of his backyard, which opened onto a small forest.  We wandered into the forest and down to the bank of the creek, where all sorts of wild flowers were growing.  It was the month of May.  Usually in the forest our imagination ran wild.  We would pretend to be animals or explorers in the tropics.  Today, though, we were just ourselves, picking the flowers and leaves that pleased us.  Sometimes before we picked them, we would sniff them first to make sure they met our expectations.  By the end of the afternoon, we had a fragrant bag full of green and white and violet.  Retreating through the forest and up the backyard, onto Christopher’s deck where we had left two small glass vases, we carefully arranged our forest treasures into the transparent vessels. 

You see, Mother’s Day was only a few days away.  And we had each seen before in our houses jars of potpourri.  We had decided to make our own as Mother’s Day gifts. 

I don’t know if our potpourri was as aromatic as we thought.  What I do know is that my mom kept that vase on display in our living room for the whole summer. 

In the years to follow, I would learn to ask myself whenever I gave a gift: “Is it enough?”  Is the value of the gift appropriate to the occasion?  But that May when I was five or six, I never thought to ask, “Is it enough?” 

Visits

Several years ago in Sheffield, England, I was walking back one afternoon from Morrison’s, the big supermarket that carried the items that reminded me most of home and that I could not find anywhere else—sourdough bread, corn tortillas, grapefruit juice, buttermilk (which is a critical ingredient, of course, for biscuits).  I had just turned onto my street, when I heard a commotion across the road.  There was a man on the ground, his head bloodied and shaking, having an apparent seizure.  I froze at first and then hurried across.  A small group had gathered around him.  One woman called the ambulance.  Another woman took off her coat and placed it under the man’s head.  She kept her hand on his shoulder.  In a gentle and steady voice, she repeated, “It’s alright, it’s alright, we’re with you.  We’re not going anywhere.  You’re going to be alright.”

Later that afternoon, I pondered the woman’s words of assurance.  How could she say that?  Could she be sure that the man would not die, that maybe things would not be alright?  Of course she could not be sure.  That’s not what she was saying.  She was saying that whatever happened, the man would not be alone, that he would have companions by his side to the very end.

Sometimes when from afar I consider situations of great illness and difficulty, I ask: “Is it enough?”  Is that doctor’s advice enough?  Is that medicine or treatment enough?  But when I am nearer to the circumstances, when I am myself visiting the person who is ill or dying, the question never crosses my mind.  I have never stopped to ponder the value of my visit.  I have never thought to ask, “Is it enough?”

The Miracle of Faith

I wonder if this is always true—that when we are faithful to others, we never stop to ask, “Is it enough?”  And yet the answer is still there all the same.  It is enough.  When we are faithful to others, it is always enough.  That is the miracle of faith.

In the springtime, when the kings of old went out to be with their people on the front lines, King David did not go out.  He was not there for his people.  He was not faithful to them.

When we’re not faithful, we’re always asking the question, “Is it enough?”  And the answer is always the same.  It is never enough.  When David saw Bathsheba, the answer came to him quickly.  What he had was not enough.  He needed to have her too.

When the disciples saw the large crowd of people, and the five loaves and two fishes, they also asked, “Is it enough?”  And although they were not as selfish as David, neither were they faithful to the hungry hearts of the crowd.  They weren’t there for the people.  And so, of course, five fishes and two loaves were not enough.

But Jesus was there for the people.  He heard their cry and had compassion.  And somehow five loaves and two fishes was enough.  When we are faithful to others, it is always enough.  That is the miracle of faith.

I would imagine there are times when Rhonda and her crew do not have “enough” for the folks they are visiting.  And yet—they are still visiting.  They don’t stop to count or calculate the value of their visit and ask, “Is it enough?”  They are simply faithful to the folks they have befriended.  And I bet that even when supplies are less than satisfactory, for every person they see, somehow, for that one day, for that one night, their visit is enough.  Because when we are faithful to others, it is always enough.  That is the miracle of faith.

Prayer

Faithful Christ,
Who comes to us all,
No matter our merit,
Bringing not solutions
But solidarity—
Your love is enough,
Thank God.
May your steadfast love
Inspire in us
A similar faithfulness
Toward others to whom we are called,
Especially the needful;
So that we might not ask,
“Is it enough?”
But instead simply offer ourselves
And all we that we have,
Trusting in your miracle.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment