Sunday 2 December 2018

It Takes Time (Psalm 25:1-10)



(Homily for Gayton Road Christian Church's Worship on December 2, 2018, Advent I)



Days of Failure

“Jonathan, have you practiced today?”  It is a question I still hear from my childhood, one that my mom asked me regularly.  If I answered, “No,” then I knew the expectation.   I would soon sit down at the bench of the piano, and for thirty minutes I would practice. 

Playing the piano was wonderful.  Practice, on the other hand, was miserable.  Practice didn’t just mean playing the difficult parts, where I made mistakes.  It meant playing them again and again.  Practice meant hitting the wrong notes again and again until the time when I did not.  Practice was slow, repetitive, and full of failure.

It was also miraculous.  What kind of equation was this, where discordant failure multiplied by days, even weeks, would suddenly equal one harmonious expression of joy, where lifeless notes stitched together by mechanical repetition would suddenly equal a song filled with living passion and wonder?

People say that practice makes perfect.  That’s true enough.  But there’s another ingredient involved, an irreplaceable one.  Time.

What Took the Longest

I still remember the afternoon when I arrived in Sheffield, England, for the beginning of my studies there.  The bus dropped me off in the leafy outskirts of the city.  From there I lugged my two suitcases to the dormitory and entered into a small, bare room.  After making the bed and emptying the luggage into the closet, I felt a rumble in my stomach. 

And finally I felt the feeling I had been fighting.  I felt empty, as blank as the room I stood in, as hollow as my howling stomach.  It felt like I had nothing: I had no friends there, no phone, no transportation, no bank, and perhaps most importantly at the moment no food.  So I wandered outside the dormitory and asked another student where the nearest grocery store was.  She replied, “You mean supermarket?  There’s one down the road, about a 15 minute walk.”

That walk was my first step in what felt like a wilderness journey.  Step by step, I made my way, constantly entrusting myself to the kindness of strangers.  Soon I picked up a basic phone from the shops at the city center.  The half-hour conversations I allowed myself with family and friends at home lifted my spirits when they were low.  Then I set up an account with the bank near the supermarket and began traveling on the bus and got a rail pass for trips outside the city.  I spent a lot of that first year sitting with my head against the window, watching scenery as I wandered about town.  Finding friends took the longest.  I didn’t find them where I expected to find them.  I found them, or they found me, by chance, by accident, by grace, because I happened to be wandering and looking around, because I was going to the supermarket regularly and riding the bus into town and trusting, always trusting, in the kindness of strangers.

People say that a move takes planning.  It does.  There are many steps to be taken.  But there’s another ingredient involved as well, an irreplaceable one.  Time.

Goodness Takes Time

Goodness takes time. 

The Bible is full of metaphors for this truth.  The kingdom is a seed sown in the soil that grows over time.  It is leaven that helps the dough to rise over time.  It is new life that emerges from a pregnancy replete with birth pangs.  

Goodness takes time.

The psalmist knows this.  It is why he cries out to God, “For you I wait all day long.”  In Hebrew, the word for “wait” is also the word for “hope.”  Hope, in other words, includes waiting.  Hope lives in the meanwhile, in the meantime.  Hope is not about the destination but the journey.  Indeed, hope does not know the destination; it does not set ultimatums or bargain for this result or that one.  It is humble.  It knows that it does not know.  But it is eager to learn.  “Teach me, teach me,” the psalmist implores repeatedly today (25:4-5), before acknowledging that the lessons of time are a gift received especially by the humble (24:9). 

Goodness takes time.

Paul knew this too.  In last week’s Bites, Brews, and Big Questions, we ruminated over Paul’s infamous song on love, 1 Corinthians 13.  We kept coming back to the inescapable fact that love takes time.  It is patient; it bears everything; it endures everything; it hopes.

Watchful, Waiting, Welcoming

It’s ironic that during Advent, a season of waiting, our world rushes about frantically.  It rushes around shopping.  It rushes from party to party.  It rushes about in its benevolence, giving to this charity and that one.  There’s never enough time. 

But hope has all the time in the world because it knows that goodness takes time.  Hope is a friend of time.  It accepts the reality of time, the reality that birth takes time and dying takes time, that growing takes time and healing takes time, that friendship takes time and reconciliation takes time, that work takes time and sleep takes time.

Our world walks around with a can-do swagger and assuredly offers quick-fixes to every dilemma.  Hope, on the other hand, does not guarantee a surefire solution.  Hope admits it can’t do it all.  Hope is what happens when instead of reacting to a problem singlehandedly, you ponder it and share it and lament it.  While the world calls for a vote and responds hurriedly in the name of speed and efficiency, in the process dividing hearts and fracturing spirits, hope waits and learns and proceeds only when a way has been made known.

Hope may feel the urgency of a situation, but hope never hurries.  To hurry is to presume a control that we don’t have.  No amount of hurry would have given me control of those piano songs any sooner.  No amount of hurry would have made me friends any quicker in Sheffield.  Hope does all it can while trusting God with what lies beyond its control. 

While the hurrying, controlling world works with tunnel vision and a possessive grip on things, hope is ever waiting, ever watchful, ever welcoming of what comes.  Trusting that God’s goodness is planted deep in every circumstance and is every growing, hope celebrates the little things, the glimpses of grace—like when a young child smiles, or when a parent with Alzheimer’s shares a tender moment, or when an ill friend finishes a meal with relish.  Hope has no guarantee for what happens next.  It simply trusts that faithfulness will meet with goodness in due time.

In this way, hope is open-ended.  Hope foresaw neither the manger nor the cross.  But it received them faithfully when they came, saying as both Mary and Jesus did, “Let it be done to me according to your will.”[1]

The Goodness That Lies Outside Our Control

The best things in life take time: friendship, babies, cookies, crops, flowers, the list goes on.  All of them are gifts.  We can be a part of their process—indeed, it is our responsibility to be a part of their process—but there is also much that we cannot control.  The goodness that takes time arrives on its own time.

Which is to say, God arrives.  God, which is among other things shorthand for the goodness that lies outside our control, arrives.  That is essentially what Advent means.  “Arrival.”

And hope is the beginning of Advent.  Because hope lives in the meantime, trusting that time is anything but mean, that each minute means something, that goodness takes time—that God is coming.

Prayer

Enduring God,
Whose love takes time—
Recalibrate our hearts
This Advent
Not to hurry
But to hope.
Help us to befriend time,
Trusting that our faithfulness
Will meet with your goodness
In due time.
In Christ for whom we wait.  Amen.




[1] Paraphrase of Luke 1:38; 22:42.

No comments:

Post a Comment