Sunday 16 December 2018

The Joy of Water (Isaiah 12:2-6)


(Homily for Gayton Road Christian Church's Worship on December 16, 2018, Advent III)



Just Water

The first time I went skiing, I did a lot of falling.  At twelve years old, that was pretty fun.  In fact, if I’m honest, falling is probably one of the reasons I went skiing in the first place.  Since I had been little, falling had always been a temptation.  Rake a pile of leaves, and I would gladly fall in it.  Throw a pile of blankets and pillows on the floor, and I would find a way to fall in it.  In the same way, a pile of snow was little else than an invitation to fall in it.  The prospect of a mountain of snow was irresistible.  Anywhere I turned, mother nature would be there with her alluring white arms, waiting to embrace me in a heap of heavenly snow.

But I remember more than falling that first time skiing.  I also remember the deep ache in my calves and quadriceps after five unbroken hours on the slopes.  I remember my soggy socks and the sudden sting on my wind-bitten face as I stepped into the warmth of the ski lodge.  And I remember what surprised me most of all: how thirsty I was.  Earlier in the week, I had fantasized about skiing and then relaxing with a cup of hot chocolate by the fire.  But that fantasy had long since evaporated.  All I could think of when I stepped inside was water.  I needed water.  I stumbled forward with my ski boots still on until I finally found a water fountain and I parked myself there for the next five minutes.  I can’t tell you how delicious that water was.  How my body rejoiced, how it felt the water course within it all the way from my throat to the tips of my fingers and toes.

In that moment, it was the simplest thing that gave me the greatest joy.  Not hot chocolate.  Not some warm luxury drink topped off with an unhealthy amount of whipped cream.  Just water.

Just a Hug

Perhaps you know the experience.  Perhaps it’s an experience that has to do not only with water.

This time of year, I am filled not only with memories of snow but also memories of Christmas past.  How our family would gather.  How my uncle would make jokes that made me blush.  How my grandma would be taste-testing our dinner, and always erring on the side of a little more lemon juice if something didn’t taste just right.  How my granddad would hug me so tight I could feel his moustache on my forehead.

Of course, getting the whole family together was also bound to result in friction.  How could you have that many people together and not have two folks rub one another the wrong way?  More often than not, the conflict would come from something small, like a confusion of responsibilities in the kitchen or hurt feelings over a hotly contested card game.  If any of this sounds familiar, take comfort from the reminder that you’re not alone.  These experiences are nothing new.  They’re bound to happen.  What’s worth remarking on is not that they happen but how we respond.  Because I’ve noticed something in my own experience of these situations.  On the surface, I think that what I want is to be right or to be in control or to win.  I want to pick what goes on the table; I want to have the final say in a conversation; I want to build hotels on my Park Place and Boardwalk properties and bleed my family dry.

But in fact I don’t those desire those things at all.  When I find myself embroiled in that helpless, fighting feeling, I actually feel hollow and small—even when I win, even when I get what I want. Deep inside me there is a thirst for something different, something much more.  It’s a thirst for something I can’t get with words or logic.  It’s a thirst for something I can’t get with command or control.  The only thing I’ve ever quenched this thirst with, is a hug.  Letting go of that fighting feeling and sharing a hug recalibrates my heart, reminds me what matters, relieves my deep thirst.  A hug is like water to my parched heart. 

In that moment, it is the simplest thing that gives me the greatest joy.  Not being right or being in control, like I might think.  Not winning.  Just a hug.

The Simplest Things

The lie that masquerades as Christmas in much of our world, is that joy is getting what we want.  We hear it in every commercial this season.  We live it whenever we fight to get our way, whether it’s with holiday plans or side dishes or simply which decorations look best on the tree.  We believe in the lie and spread it when we turn Christmas into a holiday of self-gratification, when we expect to be happy all the time with all of our favorite things around us.

But joy is not getting what we want. 

Joy is about water.  Not hot chocolate.  Not a drink covered in whipped cream.  Not what we want.  Joy is about the water that meets a much deeper thirst.  It’s about the simplest things—which in fact give us the greatest joy.  And this joy can happen in happiness, like when I stumbled off the slopes aglow with the glee of skiing.  Or it can happen in frustration, even depression, like when we are submerged in that helpless, fighting feeling that haunts the holidays, and a hug finds its way through to shower our parched heart.

Water from the Wells of Salvation

Our scripture today is filled with joy—with giving thanks and shouting aloud and singing praises.  The reason for all this joy is simple.  Water.  It’s Isaiah’s symbol for salvation.  Joy is about the simple things that God gives us, the simple things we share, the simple goodness that is the life of the world—goodness as simple as water.  “With joy,” Isaiah proclaims, “you will draw water from the wells of salvation” (12:3). 

While the world suggests that Christmas is about getting what we want, Advent declares something different.  Something simpler.  Advent announces that joy is not a contest or a competition for gratification.  Joy is about a deeper thirst.  And joy is about the clear water that quenches it.  Joy is as simple as a hug amid loneliness, or a smile on a hard day, or a moment of quiet in a busy time.  Joy is always there, waiting for us to receive it, to drink it, to share it.

The Help We Need

The ever-presence of joy is a bit of a riddle, and so I would like to conclude with something of a riddle. 

Meister Eckhart, a German priest and mystic of the fourteenth century, had a curious way of talking about joy.  God laughed at Christ, he said, and then…Christ laughed back.  That is the completion of joy.  Perhaps we hear an echo of this sacred experience in our other scripture today, where John the Baptist talks about bearing fruit with our lives.  John was preaching in a hard voice, and it’s difficult to hear any joy in it.  But I wonder if deep down he was saying the same thing as Meister Eckhart—namely, that joy is a call and response.  When we drink its water, we cannot help but bear fruit.  When we hear its laughter, we cannot help but laugh back.

The surprise of Advent, then, is that joy already abounds in our world, that God is laughing.  Can you hear the laughter?  It’s hard sometimes, isn’t it?  Perhaps that is part of the reason Advent is also a season of waiting.  We need a little help to hear that laughter.  May it come, and quickly.

Prayer

Living Water,
Christ whose love
Quenches our deepest thirst—
Your joy is simple.
Not a thing to be won
But a gift
Ever waiting to be received.
Open the eyes of our hearts,
As you did years ago,
To see the joy of life
In the simple way of love.  
Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment